The New York Juvenile Asylum (NYJA) was founded in 1851 by a group of prominent businessmen and professionals concerned about vagrancy among poor children in New York City. It was designed to house, educate, reform, and indenture children who were homeless, truant, or convicted of petty crimes in New York City. The NYJA being an alternative to the punitive House of Refuge where more hardened young criminals (incarcerated alongside much older adults) were being sent. Most children accepted into the NYJA were between the ages of seven and fifteen, but children both younger and older were accepted at times. The NYJA relocated to 176th Street between Tenth and Eleventh Avenues in 1856. By the end of 1919 over 42,000 children had been admitted to the Asylum. About 6,000 were sent West on orphan trains in what is now referred to as America’s Orphan Train Movement. The names in this volume represent over five thousand children who lived in the New York Juvenile Asylum, as well as its House of Reception (where applicable), between 1855 and 1925. The names were extracted from the following enumerations conducted at the Asylum and House of Reception: the 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900, 1910, and 1920 federal censuses; and the New York State censuses of 1855, 1905, 1915, and 1925. The censuses are arranged chronologically and the children listed alphabetically for each census. The descriptions vary from census to census; however, in virtually all cases they provide the individual’s name, race, sex, age, and state or country of birth. Also included for several of the censuses is the state or country of birth for the parents of each child. In a couple of the censuses the “residence when admitted” (to the Asylum) is listed for each child.